[freeside-devel] svc_broadband

Jeff Finucane jeff at cmh.net
Tue Oct 14 08:24:18 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 14:46:56 -0500 "Jeremy Davis" <lists at maximumtech.us> wrote:

| Subject: [freeside-devel] svc_broadband
|
| I'm sort stuck on what path to take on some of the new software I will be
| writing.  I have the need to track more information than what is currently
| supported.  It's a two part problem.
|
| 1.) More information in svc_broadband.
| 	Basically will need to have information for devices.  Usernames,
| passwords, make, model, other various things like burstable speed settings
| for various exports to other devices.
+----------

  Khoff makes suggestions here:
     http://www.freeside.biz/mediawiki/index.php/Broadband_Services_Spec

  and points out that we already store usernames, passwords in svc_acct and
that these are already tied to exports.  The speed settings should probably
go into svc_broadband.

+----------
| 2.) Inventory system to log and provision the above devices.
|
| Does it make more sense to write something else for the above functionality
| or just modify the existing modules to handle what is needed?  What would be
| more apt to be integrated into future releases?  I wasn't sure how modifying
| the inventory system would affect other systems, as I have no customers
| currently using the inventory feature.

  Modifying the inventory table for make, model, (explicit?) serial number
and moving towards a many to many relationship between inventory items and
services (much like that between packages and services) would greatly
broaden freeside's capabilities.

jeff at cmh.net

"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does
 not want merely because you think it would be good for him."

 Professor Bernardo de le Paz
  [ R.A. Heinlein -- "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" ]