[freeside-devel] Need Help with Implementing Invoice Number Feature

Marty Troup marty at troupcommunications.com
Mon Apr 28 16:34:35 PDT 2008

Hello-

  I have done a few installs of Freeside since I started using it a few
months ago and each time I have went into the DB manually and changed the
default/starting value of the "invnum" primary key within the cust_bill
table.  I no longer use Postgres but I did the modification in it as well.
The last install I did was using MySQL and I have the table and field
information but am unsure how to write the syntax of the statement.

When I choose to "edit" the index in PHPMyAdmin it reports the following
SQL.  It doesn't seem to do anything but it does update the Next Index which
correlates to updating the next Invoice Number.

My reason for wanting this feature is that it just makes sense to start
invoices at a number higher than 1 such as 1000 or the like.  However, if
that doesn't make sense to you maybe another scenario will.  If a company is
migrating over to Freeside from another billing system it would be much
better if they were able to pick the next number in their current invoice
system as the starting number for Freeside.  That way, they will never have
duplicate invoices on file.

If you are willing to help with this please let me know.

Thanks,

Marty

--

Marty Troup <marty at troupcommunications.com>