[freeside-devel] default configuration values

Mathieu Dimanche mdimanche at free.fr
Tue Sep 18 03:59:37 PDT 2007

Hi,

As I'm trying to have the address State field optional (in france, we
really don't care about this information, but it is required and have us
loose time while creating a new customer), I ran into the FS::Conf
object and have seen a behavior I find rather awkward.

Default configuration values are not defined in the FS:Conf object but
are hard-coded everywhere the value is fetched. Couldn't there be a
"defaultvalue" key in the config_items array ? then, the FS::Conf would
return (in priority order)
* the value found in the correct conf/file
* the value in the base
* the default value in the config_items array (if specified)

I think this behaviour would be must more appropriate.

What do you think ?

Mathieu

PS : What's the difference between FS::Conf in Conf.pm and FS::Conf in
Conf_compat17.pm ? If one is deprecated, should it be removed ? Which
should receive updates ?