[freeside-devel] svc_broadband refactor

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at elirion.net
Mon Aug 20 08:40:48 PDT 2007

I found this e-mail languishing in my drafts folder from back in
February.  I thought I'd finish it up and send it on to the list in case
Jeff or anyone found anything useful in it.

Jeff Finucane wrote:
>   I did, in fact, mean street address.  I should point out that Kristian
> Hoffmann has kickstarted my thinking with his post to the wiki at
> http://www.sisd.com/mediawiki/index.php/Broadband_Services_Spec

Thanks for the link.  Looks like the address there is for inventory
purposes: keeping track of where the equipment actually is.

1/ Do we really need the latitude and longitude?
2/ Can we generate lat/long from the address efficiently, and not need
to store it in the database?
3/ Will the equipment location always be a service address?  If so, we
don't need to store the address in the svc_broadband record.

I think the address roles we have so far are:
a/ Billing address.  Normally 1:1 relationship to cust_main?
b/ Service address.  Should be a 1:1..N relationship to cust_main?
c/ Equipment location.  Should be 1:1 to an inventoryable object?
d/ Return address.  Normally the billing address of the first cust_main
object, the one you put in to reserve your main domain/RADIUS realm.

Kristian's idea of concentrating on Layer 2 features sounds promising.
I'm wondering if we should have attribute sets like
"802.11q_capabilities", rather than a bunch of 802.x subclasses.

Regards,

	Richard Siddall