[freeside-devel] RPM-friendly releases, was: 1.7.3

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at elirion.net
Mon Aug 20 08:34:30 PDT 2007

Ivan Kohler wrote:
> I don't know anything about .spec files and wouldn't know where to start
> to hammer out procedures for them.
>
> Is this something you can handle yourself?  What do you need from us to
> hammer this out?  Is there something you need to add to the "release"
> target in the Makefile?

I think ideally you'd announce that a new release was imminent and I'd
immediately build a set of RPMs and test that they both work and contain
all the essential files for a Freeside installation before the release
was done.  I'm worried about two things:

1/ I don't get around to doing the testing and hold up the release.
2/ The lack of any test framework, so testing will be manually intensive.

Otherwise, the changes to the .spec file for each release are quite
simple: you make sure the Version tag matches the upcoming release, and
set the Release tag back to 1 as an RPM set built from the release
tarball should be the first RPM release with that version number.

I'll see if I can modify the Makefile to handle the mechanics of that.

I think one approach that might help improve the quality of the RPM
releases when you roll a new tarball would be to create daily RPMs of
the CVS head and major branches, so bleeding edge RPM users could report
problems before you roll a release.  I'd have to think about the naming
convention for those RPMs (freeside-1.7-cvs20070807-1.src.rpm?), and how
to script up the RPM creation.

Would you be willing to host a yum repository for the RPMs, or should
someone else volunteer to do that? ;>

Regards,

	Richard.