[freeside-devel] Some Ideas

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at elirion.net
Tue Nov 15 20:37:20 PST 2005

Jason Thomas wrote:

> Well actually I never looked at where your packages put stuff. But an
> example of the kind of trouble is the logs in etc/freeside/, although
> simple to change this is just one example and there seem to be lots.
>
> Usually when I package something you just do configure --prefix=/usr &&
> make install DESTDIR=/home/jason/<application name>/debian/tmp/usr
>
> With freeside I've had to write all sorts of shell code to munge stuff.

IIRC, I put everything in the default places, except for the Mason pages
which I put under /var/www.  I let Perl decide where to put the Perl
modules, and put most everything else under /usr/local/etc/freeside.
(I've read that RPMs shouldn't put anything under /usr/local.)

I agree, the logs should go under /var/log or something like that.  That
hadn't occurred to me.

The main kludge in the RPM spec file is using sentinel files to stop the
Makefile from rebuilding targets.  It often calls make with a
destination directory under the RPM build root.

Regards,

	Richard.