[freeside-devel] Comments on the AGPL (and other licenses?) t hat close the "webapp" loophole

Bowen, Peter pbowen at corp.untd.com
Tue Dec 7 10:44:49 PST 2004

I've been focused elsewhere so I'm a lot late to the game, but the
interesting thing is that if a company derives/forks and then doesn't
contribute, eventually head will catch up or even move ahead again and
integrating new features becomes VERY painful.  At some point, the system is
so different, that very little of the original code applies.

The cost of trying to merge non-contributed changes soon outweighs the cost
of writing your own to begin with since maintenance becomes harder over
time.  And maintenance is where most of the cost of software lies.

My biggest frustration is that contributing allows the maintainer to change
as he/she sees fit.  So if you're writing code in 'baby steps' to try to
keep things from breaking, then you often have to take a couple of steps
back before you can move forward again.

Of the two problems, the second is much less painful than the first.  Sure
others will use your code, but you get to use their code as well.  The next
phase of business is going to be built on that and now that our generation
is starting to run companies, I expect that this will only get better.

-Peter