[freeside-devel] proposed IP address tracking changes

Kristian Hoffmann khoff at pc-intouch.com
Thu May 15 09:54:08 PDT 2003

On Wed, 14 May 2003 ivan at 420.am wrote:

> Kristian (and others) -
>
> What do you think of the following changes?
>
> - Add a table FS::addr or FS::ip containing individual IP addresses

There would need to be a way to limit the number of addresses per service.
The first carnation of svc_broadband (svc_wireless & svc_ip), allowed for
multiple IP addresses per 'broadband serivce'.  That turned out to be a
useless feature because it is almost impossible to route more that one
address on 99% of commercially available routers.  It's trivial in Linux,
which is what inspired the original idea.

We dropped the one to many relationship for service to address because it
is much more practical to assign additional address blocks, not single IP
addresses.  Hence router.svcnum, aka. customer routers.

The web UI changes required to assign blocks, via a router, to
svc_broadband are next on my list.

> - Add the block itself to FS::addr_block instead of deriving it from the
>   gateway

Doesn't that violate 3NF?

{gateway masklen} -> {block)
                  FD

> - Add a table to link additional IPs to svc_* records.  Replace
>   svc_acct.slipip and svc_broadband.ip_addr with foreign keys to this
>   table.

What happens with the relationship between NASs and routers, or does your
NAS just become a router?

> - Enhancements to address block web UI: delete blocks, split blocks with
>   the ability to specify gateway address, split blocks at arbitrary
>   boundries, merge blocks

Sounds fine to me.  I'll do it eventually unless someone else takes care
of it first.

-Kristian