[freeside-devel] Re: [freeside] texas tax patch

ivan ivan at 420.am
Tue Apr 16 11:02:54 PDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 09:21:51AM -0500, Rick Eicher II wrote:

> You are right this patch is only good to patch the code a month ago. I first
> submitted this code on 03/18/02. So if you are trying to apply it now, I
> assume that the code has changed a good amount.

No, besides that, I could not apply the patch (see the error in my
I could inspect the differences - could not get a good read of them from
reading the patch "raw".  I played with the patch you submitted and could
not get it to apply to cust_main.pm - it kept kicking out the 'malformed
patch' errors.  I spent about an hour on it and could not get more than
one hunk of the patch to apply to cust_main.pm.

> So with a little work I am sure you can get it to work. The main part
> of getting it to work is the cust_main.pm file which will patch.

No, it didn't.

If you or someone else who is interested in texas tax can not provide a
patch that applies, then Freeside will not support texas tax at this time.

> As with every thing in business it is all about the bottom line. The bottom
> line here is it works on our system. Since our company does not make money
> with freeside like you company does, we can not allot any more time to
> "Texas taxes".

As you say, it's all about the bottom line.  I don't have any customers in
texas, just users, and I can only allot a finite amount of time to
futzing with patches that won't apply.

I welcome your contribution but if a malformed patch does neither myself
nor the community no good.

> We believe that we have contributed back to the community and
> will be more than happy to contribute when every possible. But as it stands
> now we need to concentrate on what makes our company money.
>
> Maybe in the future if freeside still does not support Texas taxes we will
> work on this again.

Freeside won't support texas taxes without a contribution of a usable
patch, or the sponsorship of such by a company in Texas.

Personally, _I_ wouldn't run a company for even a week on the
between-pre11 and pre12 code snapshot you're on.  If you want to avoid
running on that buggy code forever, or continually porting your changes to
new Freeside versions, it's in your best interest to get them integrated
into the tree.