[freeside-devel] cust_pay and sql-ledger

Jeff Finucane jeff at cmh.net
Fri Mar 2 07:39:53 PST 2001

Kristian Hoffmann <khoff at pc-intouch.com>:

   Thank you for your message reply of Thu, 1 Mar 2001 22:11:40 -0800 (PST)....

| From: Kristian Hoffmann <khoff at pc-intouch.com>
| To: ivan-freeside-devel at sisd.com, jeff at cmh.net
| Subject: Re: [freeside-devel] cust_pay and sql-ledger
|
| What do you mean by unapplied payments?  Anything i can think of is
| already handled by bills, payments, and credits.
|
| On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Jeff Finucane wrote:
|
| >   I recall mention of possible sql-ledger integration discussed a few
| > months ago.  What has occurred there?
| >
| >   I am thinking that it would be appropriate to add another amount
| > field to the cust_pay records to faciliate 'unapplied payments'
+----------

  Imagine that a customer arrives on ones doorstep with $239.40 cash.  This
customer has in hand an invoice that should have been paid three days ago
for six months of service at $19.95 per month.  They would like to continue
being billed at six month intervals, but want to pay for the whole year now.

  I need to stick the extra $119.70 somewhere.  The future invoice does not
yet exist.  Yes, I could create one, and then possibly make adjustments in
the future when the customer also changes their services.

  Why not simply record the payment?  If the payment record (cust_pay) had
two amount fields (just as cust_bill and cust_credit do), then one might
record the total amount of the payment in the 'paid' field.  The second
'unapplied' field could be used to apply remaining amounts to later invoices.

  How else might this situation be handled?

  Jeff

jeff at cmh.net

"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does
 not want merely because you think it would be good for him."

 Professor Bernardo de le Paz
  [ R.A. Heinlein -- "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" ]