[freeside-devel] multiple domains and hosts

Jeff Finucane jeff at cmh.net
Fri Jul 20 12:15:19 PDT 2001

   On Fri, 29 Jun 2001 12:01:02 -0700, ivan <ivan at 420.am> wrote:

+----------
| On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 02:32:34PM -0400, Jeff Finucane wrote:
| >
| >   depricate "defaultdomain"
| >   add field to svc_acct table/class linking to a svc_domain
| >   do a data convert to eliminate needless svc_acct_sm
| >
| >   Also
| >
| >   A new table listing machine names
| >   A table linking machines to domains
| >
| >  ...                   Is there progress along these lines currently
| > underway somewhere?
|
| Not recently, nope.

| >   I propose to put up a new 1.3.x machine next week and begin tackling
| > these issues.  I'd appreciate any thoughts others might contribute.
|
| If you contribute significant work in this area you can probably picque my
| interest.
+----------

  I am still seeking input from others as I forge ahead.  Most of my focus
is on making freeside work nicely with qmail/vpopmail/courier-imap (and
allowing multiple mailboxes with the same username).  One specific issue
has arisen.

  It seems that replacing svc_acct_sm records with a reference to a
svc_domain record in a svc_acct record is not entirely sufficient.  While
this will allow for most features of the existing schema, it discards
one feature which may be heavily used.  Today it is easy to map multiple
'webmaster at domain.customer' mailboxes onto a single freeside svc_acct via
the svc_acct_sm record.

  This functionality would be recovered by allowing freeside to manipulate
the forwarding controls of the mail subsystem, and including records for
that purpose... something along the lines of svc_acct_sm :/  (but this
time using svcnum instead of uid).

  I can see some potential problems here for those folks who actually
do allow there users to have shell access.  Particularly if they are
permitted to control mail forwarding from there  (BTW, I have a
customer administration module based on fs_setup which allows those
with svc_acct_admin records to administer their mail accounts in
freeside -- it's rough, specific to me, inspired thought on a more
robust system, but works).

  Is there any compelling reason to not deprecate svc_acct_sm, add
a domsvc to svc_acct which points to a svc_domain, add a svc_forward
record for handling pure forwards (ala cust_main_invoice)?  Does anyone
have a suggestion for handling overlapping names on ipop or qpopper machines?
Would tacking on the domain name or adding the svcnum of the domain be
too ugly (that is our current manually implemented policy)?

  The export scripts then create the passwd, rcpthosts, recipientmap,
aliases, sendmail.cw, shadow, users, virtualdomains, virtusertable,
assign, and/or vpasswd files.

  Comments are welcome.

Jeff

jeff at cmh.net

"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does
 not want merely because you think it would be good for him."

 Professor Bernardo de le Paz
  [ R.A. Heinlein -- "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" ]