[freeside-devel] freeside is HOSED. 8-(

Brian Wolfe ahzz at terrabox.com
Mon Sep 11 18:09:52 PDT 2000

	Well, I have repaired the DB finaly. The way it handles ballances definitly needs to be rethought out by an accountant/programmer.

	I was thinking of a slightly different approach. Make 2 new tables. invoices payments. invoices go in one, and payments go intot he other. calculate the account ballance by pulling info from both tables and summing them. The way it is now a lot of work has to be done to cleanly back out a mistyped entry or a web glitch like what I ran into.

	Yes I could have asked in a different way and I apologise for being so harsh. But the truth is I use freeside because it is the only thing out there. 8-( I DO have to admit and compliment the creators on a decent first attempt. However it's obvious as of 1.2 that it should have been rewritten from scratch in full OO minimaly. At best rewritten as a C app. This mix of OO and plain perl makes it a nightmare to work with for someone jumping in aftera  bug.

	Anyways, I'm working on some changes that ill toss back into the freeside system after a few months of work. Basicly i'm taking it to full transaction oriented and re-designing the DB. I had fun learning oracle and DB design from the contractors at my main job for a large 500+table 4GB data system for logistics management. I'm open for some ideas from some more experienced DBAs on the tables, triggers, schema, and constraints.

	And like I said. My apologies for coming across so harshly. 8-/

	Brian Wolfe
	TerraBox.com