configuration file location

David Morton freeside at petra.osprey.net
Sun Mar 26 17:59:01 PST 2000

As I go to add features, I thought it would be nice to have them more
configurable, which would require a better configuration system.  Being
lazy,
I looked on CPAN to find routines that handle more complex configuration

Before I continue much further, I'd like to know the reason for some of
the
current structure.

It looks like the HTTP username points to a file via mapsecrets which
has the data source name, which is then used in the rest of the
configuration name.

This looks like too many steps, as well as being ugly as a
file/directory name:
DBI:mysql:database=freeside;host=secure.osprey.net

What I'd like to see is:

HTTP USER  points to an entry in mapsecrets - a directory name.

this directory contains all the information for that company:

/usr/local/etc/freeside/mapsecrets
/usr/local/etc/freeside/osprey/freeside.conf
/usr/local/etc/freeside/acme/freeside.conf

and this way all the configurtion options are in one file, easy to set
up.

With just a little work on FS::Conf and FS::UID, this should be set up
fairly quickly.  I'll have a patch soon... :)